This weekend @anotherjesse sent me a link to a tweet about this cool new animation app named Looom.

It has a very unique interface that is unlike anything I’ve used before. They describe the feeling that they were going for, and they nailed it:

Wonderfully musical
Taking inspiration from music creation tools, using Looom feels more like playing an instrument than operating software – exploring lines, shapes and colors through loopable time and rhythm.

https://iorama.studio

You can fluidly flip back and forth between traditional frame-by-frame animation and live animation that feels more like a performance than drawing.

Their website also says that all of the brush strokes are recorded as SVG paths. This means that everything is a vector, and that it could support many different types of exports (as SVG is pretty portable). I think this app has a lot of potential, and I’m excited to see the direction they take it.

Anyway, here are the things I made, in the order that I made them. If you’re interested in watching the actual process of making these, you can check them out for the next 14 days on my twitch channel https://www.twitch.tv/makewithjake/videos?filter=archives&sort=time I’ll share some more details about the twitch channel soon.

Over the last few weeks, I’ve been diving into learning animation. I kind of dove in headfirst, and realized that I’m actually pretty bad at drawing, and that I needed to start my journey by getting better with some basic drawing skills.

The first thing I did was head over to Twitch to see if there were any interesting artists making digital art or comics. https://www.twitch.tv/yungkhan stuck out with an interesting distinct style. After watching for a while I started to pick up on his overall process for how he approaches the creation of emotes and small illustrations.

Basically he starts by doing a very rough sketch with minimal definition — just enough to start seeing the lines. Then he outlines everything with a black brush. Then he starts filling in the large blocks of color. Then he finishes things off by adding shadow details and rendering.

So I decided to follow along with this process, and I made a little alpaca! Below are the timelapse video, and the final image.

I made this in Procreate on the iPad Pro with the Pencil2

Last week I went to Whitehorse, YT to visit a friend. It was my second time visiting, but last time I was there during the summer when it was warm. This time ’round the temperatures stayed around -30ºC to -40ºC 🥶 So we tried to do activities that would keep us warm.

Though we did go out on a few outdoor adventures. On this small trail near where we were staying, we hiked through what seemed like a never-ending winter wonderland forest.

Obviously the best indoor activity to stay warm is to spend some time playing with molten glass in 2000ºF furnaces! So we went to an artist’s workshop called Lumel Studios — where instructors will guide you through the creation of some of their beginner-level glass blowing projects.

Jessica and I chose to make color-coordinated stemless wine glasses.

Here’s a few photos of me doing things

Here is the final product! Jessica made the one on the right, and I made the one on the left. I think they turned out really well, and I’m excited that I had the opportunity to try glass blowing.

I finally got around to finishing the painting that I’ve been working on recently. I decided to name it “teardrops” since the original sketch I had for it was teardrop-shaped. I posted about it a few weeks ago, but I’ve added a bunch of final touches.

Since the last post, I cleaned up a bunch of the linework, fixed several mistakes, and added a bunch of shadows for depth.

Once I was done with the actual painting, I sealed it with 3 coats of Golden Satin Polymer Varnish with UVLS. This varnish is actually pretty cool. It adds a nice matte finish which makes the painting look more “finished”. It also protects the colors from UV light, which over time can cause the color in the painting to fade.

In my last post, I shared my first painting, which I finished back in November. Since then I’ve been struggling to find time for painting, but I’ve been chipping away at a similar piece that I think is a lot better. This past Saturday I allocated the entire day to painting, and made a bunch of progress.

I forgot to take photos in the very early stages of this painting, but I have a handful of WIP shots from Saturday. The painting is made with golden fluid acrylic paint on an 11×14″ wood panel that I gessoed and prepared myself.

I feel like it’s better than my first painting. Better in terms of composition, color strategy, cleanliness, and just overall technique.

This new piece isn’t quite finished, but I figure it’s done enough to post about. Next, I’m planning to work on improving the shadow effect to give the pattern some depth.