Over the last few weeks, I’ve been diving into learning animation. I kind of dove in headfirst, and realized that I’m actually pretty bad at drawing, and that I needed to start my journey by getting better with some basic drawing skills.

The first thing I did was head over to Twitch to see if there were any interesting artists making digital art or comics. https://www.twitch.tv/yungkhan stuck out with an interesting distinct style. After watching for a while I started to pick up on his overall process for how he approaches the creation of emotes and small illustrations.

Basically he starts by doing a very rough sketch with minimal definition — just enough to start seeing the lines. Then he outlines everything with a black brush. Then he starts filling in the large blocks of color. Then he finishes things off by adding shadow details and rendering.

So I decided to follow along with this process, and I made a little alpaca! Below are the timelapse video, and the final image.

I made this in Procreate on the iPad Pro with the Pencil2

Last week I went to Whitehorse, YT to visit a friend. It was my second time visiting, but last time I was there during the summer when it was warm. This time ’round the temperatures stayed around -30ºC to -40ºC 🥶 So we tried to do activities that would keep us warm.

Though we did go out on a few outdoor adventures. On this small trail near where we were staying, we hiked through what seemed like a never-ending winter wonderland forest.

Obviously the best indoor activity to stay warm is to spend some time playing with molten glass in 2000ºF furnaces! So we went to an artist’s workshop called Lumel Studios — where instructors will guide you through the creation of some of their beginner-level glass blowing projects.

Jessica and I chose to make color-coordinated stemless wine glasses.

Here’s a few photos of me doing things

Here is the final product! Jessica made the one on the right, and I made the one on the left. I think they turned out really well, and I’m excited that I had the opportunity to try glass blowing.

I finally got around to finishing the painting that I’ve been working on recently. I decided to name it “teardrops” since the original sketch I had for it was teardrop-shaped. I posted about it a few weeks ago, but I’ve added a bunch of final touches.

Since the last post, I cleaned up a bunch of the linework, fixed several mistakes, and added a bunch of shadows for depth.

Once I was done with the actual painting, I sealed it with 3 coats of Golden Satin Polymer Varnish with UVLS. This varnish is actually pretty cool. It adds a nice matte finish which makes the painting look more “finished”. It also protects the colors from UV light, which over time can cause the color in the painting to fade.